“We believe that this newsroom will make The City of Calgary a leader among municipalities in North America - there are very few municipal governments who have a newsroom of this quality,” said Jacob George, The City’s manager of Corporate Marketing and Communications.
“The newsroom will provide a more user friendly environment for citizens and the media while still offering a comprehensive look at City related stories,” said George.
This newsroom uses a third party vendor called iPressroom and offers several benefits compared to the old system, including:
- the ability to include images, maps, videos, audio clips and links to more information
- the categorization of news releases by topic, including Parks, Pools, Major Projects, Road Construction and Bylaws as well as Calgary Police Service and Calgary Fire Department releases
- allowing users to search for content and topics using key words as well as browse releases by category, month or year
- access to archived media advisories, which were not available in the old system
- utilizing “social media news releases” which are news releases in rich text format
NewsRoom.Calgary.ca from The City of Calgary on Vimeo.