The ‘88 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary was one of great events in our great city’s history.
Twenty-two years ago, between Feb. 13 - 28, 1988, 1,423 athletes from more than 50 nations competed for the gold.
Today we will begin reliving the 16 days of glory as Vancouver celebrates the 2010 Winter Olympics Games.
Vancouver Winter Olympics Day 1, Friday, Feb. 12, 2010
Calgary Winter Olympics Day 1, Saturday Feb. 13, 1988
- Olympic Torch arrives in Calgary
- Prime Minister Brian Mulroney opens Olympic Hall of Fame at Canada Olympic Park.
- David Foster and Tommy Banks Olympic anthem, "Can't you feel it" is sung loud and proud
- Doctor Ruth visits the games
- Panda, Xi Xi takes a walk outside the Calgary Zoo
- 40,000 people jam Olympic Plaza
- "Jungle" Jim Hunter lights the flame on the Calgary Tower
- Man-in-Motion Rick Hanson lights the cauldron at Canada Olympic Park
Archie Andrews visits Calgary during the 1988 Winter Olympic Games. Uhh Ohhh.....Veronica seems a little jealous of Betty. Watch out Peter's Drive in, here comes Jughead.
Archie and friend's visit the Saddledome, Calgary Tower, Olympic Plaza, McMahon Stadium, the the Olympic Oval.
Ken Reid and Cathy Priestner pass the Olympic Torch to Robyn Perry for the final leg of the torch run at McMahon Stadium.
A unique display of colour coded costumes and ponchos worn by the performers and audience brought the opening ceremonies to life.
Brian Orser carrying the Canadian flag leads the Canadian team during the entrance of the athletes. Following protocol, the Canadian team was the last to enter McMahon Stadium.
Athletes of the participating nations sit in the stands wearing their team outfits. This was the first time athletes were seated during the opening ceremonies at an Olympic Games.
The Canadian Forces Snowbirds fly over top of the Olympic Flame and Olympic Flag releasing coloured smoke trails.
Balloons are released over McMahon Stadium.
***Here is another Calgary City News Blog Post about Calgary Olympic Memories
***Images Courtesy of The City of Calgary, Corporate Records, Archives
***Archie Comic Pub., Inc No. 356, May