Vancouver Winter Olympics Day 15, Friday, Feb. 26, 2010
Calgary Winter Olympics Day 15, Saturday, Feb. 27, 1988
- Calgary is 18.1 C - another record-breaking day
- Sweden's Queen Silvia pays a visit to Calgary
- The "biggest garage sale in Calgary history" is announced for the following week with 40,000 items from the Olympics up for grabs - everything from phones to flags.
- Joey Mullen notches his 31st goal for the Flames
- Joe Nieuwendyk ties for 3rd all time in rookie points when he redirected a Brett Hull shot.
- Canadian men's bobsled team grumbles it is fed up with politics and lack of finances.
- Soviets win 6th straight biathlon gold medal
- Eddie The Eagle accompanies Burt Reynolds on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show
- Short track speed skating is gaining steam to become an Olympic sport.
- Olympic mens hockey rallies for National Hockey League professionals to be able to compete in 1992's Olympic games
- Elizabeth Manley does it! She wins a bronze medal behind Katarina Witt's gold.
- Italian Skier Alberto Tomba makes no bones about the fact he'd like to date East Germany's Witt.
- Team Canada wins 6-3 over Czechoslovakia in men's hockey
- Alberto Tomba wins his second gold medal in slalom
Katarina Witt skated to a gold medal in the women’s free skate. This was her second consecutive gold medal in figure skating at the Olympics.
Canada’s Elizabeth Manley gave an incredible free skate performance to capture the silver medal.
The medal winners wave to the crowd on the podium after accepting their medals.
The Canadian ice hockey team salute the fans after their win against Czechoslovakia. Canada finished fourth in the medal round.
Karin Kania from the German Democratic Republic strides through a corner to win the silver medal in the women’s 1500m speed skating competition. Dutch skater Yvonne van Gennip finished 0.14 seconds faster to win her second gold of the Olympics.
***Images Courtesy of The City of Calgary, Corporate Records, Archives