Vancouver Olympics Day 3- Sunday, February, 14, 2009
Calgary Olympics Day 3 - Monday February 15, 1988
- U.S.S.R. leads the medal count with 5
- Pirmin Zurbriggen of Switzerland wins the gold medal in men's downhill
- Romanian women's speed skating team opts to withdraw from the competition for unknown and mysterious reasons.
- Jens Mueller of Germany captures gold in luge.
- Soviet team dominates Nordic events in Canmore.
- Eddie the Eagle soars to last place finish in 70 metre jump - and wins the hearts of the world.
Pirmin Zurbriggen of Switzerland celebrates after winning gold in the men’s downhill.
Georg Hackl of the Federal Republic of Germany speeds around a corner in the men’s luge to capture the silver medal.
Alexei Prokourorov from the USSR celebrates on the podium before accepting his gold medal in the men’s 30km cross-country ski event.
Corey Millen from the USA breaks towards Czechoslovakian goalie Dominik Hasek. Hasek made the save on the play and helped his team defeat the USA 7-5.
Ken Yaremchuk and Merlin Malinowski celebrate after a Canadian goal during their ice hockey game against Switzerland.
Canada won 4-2.
***Images Courtesy of The City of Calgary, Corporate Records, Archives