Vancouver Winter Olympics Day 8, Friday, Feb. 19, 2010
Calgary Winter Olympics Day 8, Saturday, Feb. 20, 1988
- The 'battle of the Brians' comes to a close when Brian Orser of Canada wins silver in men's figure skating, narrowly surpassed by American competitor, Brian Boitano.
- German bobsled pilot, Wolfgang Hoppe sets new track record, 57.06 seconds for the 1,475 meters.
- Canada Olympic Park sees Olympic and world record attendance for bobsled competitions at 29,500.
- Canadian Olympic speed skater, Baetan Boucher receives a booming ovation from 4,500 spectators for the last race of his career.
- The temperature in Calgary reaches a record-breaking 17 degrees Celcius.
Debbie Jones and Lindsay Sparkes from Canada celebrate their gold medal win in women's curling at Max Bell Arena.
Serge Boisvert from Canada takes the puck away from a French player at the Olympic Saddledome. Final score was Canada 9 - France 5.
***Images Courtesy of The City of Calgary, Corporate Records, Archives