"The Transportation Department is aware of the amount of tourism and traffic during this time and it is taken into effect when planning lane and road closures for construction," says Troy McLeod, Roads Traffic Manager. "Our goal is to see impact is kept to a minimum and ensure Calgarians and visitors are kept on the move."
The Calgary Stampede will kick-off Friday, July 9, with the annual parade.
Here is some information regarding road closures and transit info.
Transit will operate a 24-hour CTrain service through Stampede - from Thursday evening, July 8 until Sunday, July 18. On Parade Day (Friday, July 9), some regular and express bus services will be on detour to accommodate the parade.
Fares must be paid to travel from downtown to the Stampede.
Friday July 9th
Beginning at 7:30 a.m., Friday, July 9, the following roadways will be closed for the 2010 Calgary Stampede Parade:
- Westbound 6th Avenue from 3rd Street S.E. to 10th Street S.W.
- 10th Street S.W. from 6th Avenue S.W. to 9th Avenue S.W.
- Eastbound 9th Avenue from 10th Street S.W. to 3rd Street S.E.
Alternate Routes into Downtown
- The 5th Avenue S.W. Morning Connector will be closed on Friday, July 9.
- Eastbound traffic on 9th Avenue will be directed to use 11th Street S.W.
- Motorists are also advised to use 5th Avenue or 12th Avenue to bypass the closures.
- Motorists who regularly use these downtown routes are encouraged to use Blackfoot Trail, Glenmore Trail, Crowchild Trail, 16th Avenue and Deerfoot Trail as alternate routes.
- Spectators travelling to the parade are encouraged to use Calgary Transit to get into the downtown core.
Safety is the primary concern for The City, so it is important to ensure the enjoyment and safety of pedestrians, motorists and participants by managing traffic effectively in the downtown core.
"The Transportation Department would like to thank motorists and local residents for their patience and understanding," says McLeod.