Three new locations in Calgary have become historically significant sites today, as the Calgary Heritage Authority presented plaques to at today's Council Meeting.
The plaques are presented biennially to sites of historical significance to Calgary’s development. Evaluations are based on the significance of the architecture, history and context of the sites.
“The plaque program not only allows us to recognize and celebrate the unique, historical character of places throughout Calgary, but it also allows us to share the stories of places so Calgarians can establish stronger connections with their communities and the city,” said Scott Jolliffe, Chairman of the Calgary Heritage Authority.
The three sites that received plaques are:
Bridgeland-Riverside Vacant Lot Garden
Located between 6 Street and 7A Street N.E.
In 1914 The City formed the Vacant Lots Garden Club as a way to put undeveloped lots to good use and beautify Calgary. The Bridgeland-Riverside Vacant Lots Garden is the last remaining original Vacant Lot garden. This site symbolizes the gardening heritage of this community and is an important part of Calgary’s community gardening history. Its preservation as a City Park in 2008 helped revive interest in community gardening.
Old North Trail
Spiller Road S.E.
Spiller Road was once part of an ancient trail used by Aboriginal peoples in Alberta for thousands of years. The trail, referred to as Old North Trail, led to an important ford at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow Rivers. When the North West Mounted Police built Fort Brisebois ( Fort Calgary) in 1875, a section of the Old North Trail became Macleod Trail, the main supply route between Fort Calgary, Fort Macleod and Fort Benton further south in Montana.
4 Street S.W. and Elbow River
In 1885 Father Albert Lacombe suggested that a bridge in this location would save farmers of the southwest from having to make the longer trip to cross the river at Inglewood. Completed in 1915, the Mission Bridge was the first concrete bridge built in Alberta and helped connect the communities of Mission, Roxboro and Rideau Park. The bridge structure that is in place today is the third bridge on this site.
For more information about the heritage planning and the Calgary Heritage Authority,
***Ramsay School (which still exists in Ramsay) in the background of the Old North Trail 1925 - and a view of the Bridgleand-Riverside Vacant Lot Garden