High school students with a penchant for pictures should grab their camera gear and focus on capturing the 2011 Mayor’s Environment Expo Prize. Every year the City of Calgary celebrates the creativity of Calgary’s youthful shutterbugs while celebrating the beauty of Calgary’s natural world.
This year the Mayor’s Environment Expo takes place on June 7,8 & 9 and teachers and students are invited to get involved. With camera in hand and an eye for framing, composition and balance students can submit entries to the competition in this year’s four categories: Green Go-Power, Building Green, Nature in Action and R3 – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
“Whether it is capturing the beauty in their natural surroundings, or celebrating innovation and actions that help protect our environment, the photo contest is about encouraging high school students to continue to look at the world around them from an environmental perspective,” says Mayor’s Environment Expo project manager, Michael Gray.
Previous contest winners captured these pictures and prizes. This year Winning photos will be displayed during the Expo and recognized at a reception to be held May 24, 2011 from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at the Triangle Art Gallery (800 Macleod Trail SE).
- First prize: FlipTM camcorder, Crumpler camera strap and $150 Crumpler gift certificate
- Second prize: FlipTM camcorder, Crumpler camera strap and $75 Crumpler gift certificate
- Third prize: Digital picture frame and Crumpler camera strap
Some contest rules apply and can be found online, and include stipulations like taking the picture in Calgary and entrants must be in high school. The Mayor’s expo also involves the awarding of the Jack Leslie Environment Grant, Workshops and over 60 exhibitors.
Related Blog Posts
- Upcoming environmental events inspired by former Mayor Jack Leslie
- State of the Environment Report: Calgary making progress on sustainability
- Upgrades at Southland Leisure Help Efficiency and Environment
- Waste & Recycling Services update on waste diversion
- Winners of the Mayor’s Environment Expo High School Photography Contest Announced
- 2010 Mayor's Environment Expo
- Students engage in Mayor's Environment Expo
- Photo slideshow of Mayors Environment Expo
- Beverly Pepper's Sentinels at Ralph Klein Park
- City celebrates BirthPlace Forest program's legacy
- Celebrating Earth Day with hope for the future
- Calgary’s Water Centre receives Gold LEED designation
- Winners announced for 2009 Calgary Awards
- Municipal Building Community Food Garden Volunteers Present the “Veggies” of Their Labour
- Calgary Ranked World’s No. 1 Eco-City