Residents in the northwest and southwest quadrants will soon be receiving black carts for automated garbage collection.
Black cart deliveries will start in the northwest the week of April 25 followed by homes in the southwest. All homes in Calgary will receive their carts by the end of June 2011. More than 20,000 carts will be delivered every week and residents should start using them as soon as they arrive.
“Black Cart garbage collection is an important step towards keeping Calgary clean, improv
ing collection efficiency and making the work safer for our collectors,” said Program Manager Paula Magdich.
Since the city-wide rollout began in October 2010, approximately 120,000 homes in the northeast and southeast have received their black carts. According to a recent survey, their experience has been very positive.
- Of those surveyed, 95 per cent of black cart users say their garbage collection has improved or remained the same with automated garbage collection.
- 87 per cent of black cart users say the cart is easy to use.
- Over three-quarters (77 per cent) of black cart users are able to dispose of all of their household garbage in the Black Cart, while only one in five (21 per cent) sometimes have to set out additional bags beside their cart.
- 64 per cent agree the program has resulted in their community being cleaner.
Since the launch of Black Cart service in the eastern quadrants, no garbage collectors involved in Black Cart garbage collection have lost time due to injury on the job. During the same period the previous year, there were 22 injuries resulting in lost time from collecting garbage by hand.
About Black Cart automated garbage collection
Black Cart automated garbage collection is provided at no additional cost to residents, and extra bags of garbage that do not fit in the black cart can be set beside the cart for collection.
The carts are about the same size as the blue carts and can hold the equivalent of three or four standard garbage bags. The carts will be collected each week as per the current schedule; garbage will be collected on the same day of the week and from the same location, either the front street or back lane.
For more information about the service, including a community delivery schedule, visit calgary.ca/blackcart
Related Calgary City News Blog posts:
- Hey Calgary, what’s the plan for your old garbage can?
- Carts Feeling Black and Blue? Making Sure Blue and Black Carts Keep Rolling
- City announces the launch of Black Cart Garbage Collection
- Discussion: Paula Magdich talks Black Cart - Your Questions Answered
- The City of Calgary rolls out Black Cart
- Garbage collection gets an overhaul
- Top five post-holiday waste tips
- Tag-a-Bag report accepted for information
- Waste & Recycling Services update on waste diversion
- Gardens scream 'Hooray' for leaf and pumpkin recyclingg