|CONNECT bus reader|
A naming contest was held a contest in July of this year, and the new cards will be called “Connect”. In keeping with this theme, the new system will be called the CONNECT system.
Customers will simply have to tap their card, key fob or e-sticker on a bus reader or at a CTrain station. Transit peace officers will check fares using a handheld inspection terminal.
- The current open system will continue to be used on CTrain platforms, so gates and turnstiles will not be installed.
- Cash will always be an acceptable form of fare payment
- Disposable preloaded cards will continue to be sold at most of the existing sales merchants (7-11, Macs, etc)
- Most of the existing products will continue.
|Handheld inspection terminal|
- Sept/Oct 2011: Software and equipment testing
- Oct 2011-March 2012: Installation of equipment on buses and platforms
- March-April 2012: Training (including operators)
- April-May 2012: Implement pilot (U of C spring/summer students)
- June 2012: Implementation of new system