In May 2011, The Regulation of Digital, Electronic and Computer Signage Special task force directed administration to prepare a new bylaw to go forward to council, with changes from the original recommendation of administration earlier that year.
Some of the goals of this project are to:
- Research best practices from other cities to get a better understanding of regulations for these types of signs and adapt them to create a "made in Calgary" solution;
- Update the Billboard Development Policy to look at the current development context in the City;
- Update the regulations in the land use bylaw to deal with digital technology and some of the issues related to digital sign operation (such as brightness, message timing, ambient light emissions);
- Review various safety studies and ensure that the sign regulations focus on the safety of Calgarians; and
- Ensure that the regulations and policies achieve the goals set out in the Calgary Municipal Development Plan.
The digital and third party advertising sign review project includes a series of public information and stakeholder meetings to examine the official regulations, the interim regulations and the Council approved "Billboard Development Policy Guide for Calgary".
The next series of open houses are running this week at the following locations and times:
- North West Communities (Banff Trail Community Centre - 2115 20 Ave NW) Monday, January 9, 2012 from 7 to 9:30pm
- South East Communities (Inglewood CA Hall - 1740 24 St SE) Tuesday, January 10, 2012 from 7 to 9:30pm
- North East Communities (Pineridge CA Hall - 6024 Rundlehorn Dr NE) Wednesday, January 11, 2012 from 7 to 9:30pm; and
- South West communities (Glamorgan CA Hall – 4207 41 Av SW) Thursday, January 12, 2012 from 7 to 9:30pm.
Related City of Calgary News Blog posts:
Digital and third party advertising signs information sessions