This year’s Stampede Centennial is gearing up to be an even bigger bash than usual, and The City of Calgary is prepared to help keep Calgarians and visitors on the move.
There will be a number of road closures to accommodate events all over the city during the Calgary Stampede (July 6-15). Spectators travelling to the Stampede parade are encouraged to walk, bike or use Calgary Transit to get into the downtown core.
Transit will operate a 24-hour CTrain service through Stampede - from Thursday evening, July 5 until Sunday, July 15. On parade day (Friday, July 6), some regular and express bus services will be on detour to accommodate the parade.
Fares must be paid to travel from downtown to the Stampede.
Friday, July 6
Beginning at 7:30 a.m. on Friday, July 6, the following roadways will be closed for the 2012 Calgary Stampede parade:
- Westbound 6 Avenue from 3 Street S.E. to 10 Street S.W.
- 10 Street S.W. from 6 Avenue S.W. to 9 Avenue S.W.
- Eastbound 9 Avenue from 10 Street S.W. to 3 Street S.E.
- The 5 Avenue S.W. lane reversal will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. only.
Alternate Routes into Downtown
- Eastbound traffic on 9 Avenue will be directed to 11 Street S.W.
- Motorists are advised to use 5 Avenue or 12 Avenue to bypass the closures.
- Motorists are encouraged to use Blackfoot Trail, Glenmore Trail, Crowchild Trail, 16 Avenue and Deerfoot Trail as alternate routes into downtown.
In order to ensure that all Calgarians can have a safe and enjoyable Stampede parade, The City of Calgary has reserved a number of locations along the parade route to accommodate people with mobility challenges (walkers, canes, wheelchairs, scooters) and their families and/or friends.
Accessible Viewing Zones are areas along the parade route that will be sectioned-off with barricades, and will have signs indicating they are reserved for people with mobility challenges.
Accessible Viewing Zones will be located on 6 Avenue and 9 Avenue, in the following eight areas:
- On 6 Avenue at: 1 street S.E., 2 Street S.W., 6 Street S.W. and 9 Street S.W.
- On 9 Avenue at: Centre Street, 2 Street S.W., 6 Street S.W. and 9 Street S.W.
If space remains in the viewing areas after 8 a.m., they will be opened up to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.
Parking lot closures
During the parade, there will be limited access to several Calgary Parking Authority parkades and surface lots along the parade route.
The following lots will have limited access from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, July 6:
- City Centre Parkade (221 - 9 Ave S.W. entrance will be closed. The 10 Avenue entrance will remain open)
- Civic Plaza Parkade (322 - 9 Ave S.E.)
- Centennial Parkade (608 - 9 Ave S.W. and 823 - 5 St S.W.)
- Convention Centre Parkade (727 – 1 St S.E.)
- Lot 62 (407 - 9 Avenue S.E.)
- Lot 7 (208 - 9 Ave S.W.)
- Lot 91 (610 3 ST S.E.)
- Lot 55 (724 - 4 St S.E.)
- Lot 66 (830 – 9 Ave S.W.)