The long awaited summer months are finally here, and with that our city’s downtown core becomes a hot spot for parades, festivals and of course construction work. All of these activities also mean certain roads may experience closures, lane restrictions and reduced speed limits. This weekend, please be aware of these events and major construction projects that will affect the downtown core. For a look at all of Calgary’s road closures and lane restrictions due to construction and special events, please visit www.calgary.ca/trafficinfo.
- The Carifest Parade will run from Eau Claire, south on 3 Street S.W. to 8 Avenue S.W., and west along 8 Avenue S.W. to Shaw Millenium Park. The parade will run from 11:5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. June 8. No lane or road closures will occur with this event, but traffic delays in the area can be expected.
- Northbound Macleod Trail between 18 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E. will have various lane closures starting from 7 p.m. on Friday, June 7 until 7 a.m. on Sunday, June 9, for paving.
- Southbound 1 Street S.E. between 9 Avenue S.E. and 18 Avenue S.E. will have various lane closures from 5 p.m. on Sunday, June 9 until 5 a.m. on Monday, June 10, for paving.
- 7 Street S.W. between 1 Avenue S.W. and 4 Avenue S.W. will be closed, including the intersection at 7 Street S.W. and 3 Avenue S.W. There will be one lane open on 4 Avenue S.W. These road closures will take place Saturday, June 8 from 3 a.m. to 8 p.m. for paving.
- 7 Street S.W. between 4 Avenue S.W. and 6 Avenue S.W. will be closed, including the intersections of 7 Street and 5 Avenue S.W. and 7 Street and 6 Avenue S.W. These closures will take place from 3 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday, June 9 for paving.
- 12 Avenue S.W. west of 14 Street S.W. will be reduced to one lane from 7 a.m. on Saturday, June 8 to 6 p.m. on Sunday, June 9, for utilities.
- Eastbound Bow Trail/ 9 Avenue S.W. between Crowchild Trail and 3 Street S.E. will have various, multiple lanes closed and the speed limit reduced to 50 km/h from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily on Saturday, June 8 and Sunday, June 9 for paving. Calgary Police Service will be on site to assist with traffic control as paving crews progress through intersections. Alternate routes such as 10 Avenue S.W. are recommended as major delays are expected.
- The ramps from northbound and southbound 14 Street S.W. to eastbound 9 Avenue S.W. will be closed from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday, June 8 for paving. Southbound traffic on 14 Street S.W. will be directed to use 12 Avenue S.W. and northbound traffic on 14 Street S.W. will be directed to use 10 Avenue S.W. as an alternate route to the 9 Avenue S.W. exit. Calgary Police Service will be on site to assist with traffic control as required.