|Calgary's first two-way cycle track opened on July 9.|
Features of this unique bikeway include:
- A northbound and southbound bicycle lane between 1 Avenue and 8 Avenue, protected by a one metre-wide concrete median from moving and parked vehicles, but separate from the sidewalk.
- A connection into the Centre City’s west end, between the Bow River Pathway and 8 Avenue S.W., a shared road for bikes and vehicles.
- New traffic signals at intersections and new road side signs to guide pedestrians, cyclists and motorists safely and predictably through the area.
- Green pavement at certain alley, driveway, and cross street intersections to bring people’s attention to the cycle track and crossings.
- More than 120 new bike parking spaces, with more to be installed in summer 2013.
- Planters on the cycle track median, where space is available, enhancing the look of the street, to be added in summer 2013.
The cycle track is one type of bikeway being planned and constructed around Calgary as part of the Council-Approved Cycling Strategy. You can read more about how The City is making Calgary a bicycle-friendly city and other bicycle resources at Calgary.ca/bicycle.