The kids are back to school this week and that means school zones are in effect. To keep children involved in extracurricular activities and schools with early start times safe school zones have been adjusted to begin 30 minutes earlier this year, making the new hours 7:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on school days.
The City of Calgary Roads, Calgary Police Service and the Alberta Motor Association have teamed up to implement the Safety Cones initiative, a project that has AMA School Safety patrols in Calgary placing fluorescent traffic cones around crosswalk locations to direct motorists when travelling through pedestrian crosswalks.
Children suffer more pedestrian-related injuries in September and October than any other time of the year, according to Safe Kids Canada. Here’s some information that can help you keep students safe while travelling to and from school:
- The maximum permitted speed in a school zone is 30 km/h.
- Passing is not allowed within a school zone.
- Do not park within 5 m of a crosswalk to ensure children can be seen by other drivers.
- Always stop for a school bus when the lights are flashing.
- Respect the school’s defined pick-up and drop-off zones.
More traffic safety tips can be found at calgary.ca/roads.