The area has been dealing with power outages since Oct. 11, when an underground fire located at 8 Street and 5 Avenue SW resulted in power loss to about 1,900 metered customers in 112 residential and commercial buildings.
“What started as a fire in a manhole became a major utility upgrade, major road closures and an effort to ensure the public safety and housing for approximately 5,000 residents,” said Ken Uzeloc, CEMA Director.
“The past five days, my colleagues at The City of Calgary and our partner agencies have worked night and day to ensure that Calgarians could get around our city and have access to support services they needed until their power was restored.”
Information for returning residents and businesses
- Re-entry checklists for returning residents, building owners/managers and commercial businesses are available on Calgary.ca.
- For information on troubleshooting your telephone, cable TV or Internet service contact Shaw.
- Citizens who require any additional social assistance support should contact 2-1-1.
- Spoiled food items that are securely bagged to prevent leaks can be discarded in your facility’s usual garbage collection bin. If that bin is full, contact your property manager for bin removal or emptying. City of Calgary collection schedules are not affected, and regular pickup will occur according to your normal schedule. Should you have questions regarding private garbage collection service, please contact your property manager.
- Citizens or business owners/operators with concerns about their building should contact their building operator.
- Now that power has been restored, the Information Centre at Mewata Armoury will be closed at 9 p.m. this evening.
The City would also like to thank citizens and businesses who offered lodging, food, supplies to those residents displaced in the outage.
As a reminder, power outages can happen at any time. The City encourages residents to develop their own 72 hour emergency kit for such instances. A list of what should be included in a 72 Hour Emergency Kit is available at Calgary.ca/cema.