Safety of citizens remains the number one concern. Residents without power, telephone or water should consider the following:
- If you do not have access to a phone in the event of an emergency, you should consider evacuating.
- If you are planning to evacuate, it is safest to do so during daylight hours. But if you feel unsafe, do not wait.
- If you feel unsafe in any way as a result of the power outage, you should consider evacuation. Look to family and friends for assistance and accommodation or contact your insurance.company or building manager for alternate arrangements. If you need additional assistance, our Information centre at Mewata Armouries (801 11 St. S.W.) is open 24 hours.
- Please check on the welfare of your neighbours.
- Do not under any circumstances use alternative heating or cooking devices. This includes candles, propane lights, camping lights and stoves or barbeques. For alternative lighting, use battery-powered lights or flashlights.
- Never use a portable generator indoors.
- Do not allow vehicles to idle in underground parkades, as ventilation systems will likely be inoperable, putting you at risk.