Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Calgary.ca’s paving page gets a makeover

The City is launching a new online tool to help Calgarians learn where and when paving is being done.

The new map will help citizens easily identify paving work.

This year, those who are interested in finding out where crews will be paving will notice a new user experience on Calgary.ca/paving – an interactive map highlighting Contracted and City Pavement Rehabilitation locations and micro surfacing projects.

As part of The City’s commitment to improving our user experience, the map was developed with the hope of improving transparency and helping to highlight The City of Calgary Roads Construction Division’s 2016 paving projects. The system pulls information from The City’s geographic information system and displays it on an easy–to-read map.

The City of Calgary has over 127 paving jobs planned for 2016, covering 271 lane kilometres. 70 per cent of the work will take place on major roads with the other 30 per cent in residential areas. In some areas, work has already begun on concrete repairs prior to paving.

The City of Calgary and its contracted partners are currently scheduling these projects between now until the end of October. Residents are reminded that the rehabilitation of a roadway involves several different steps, and can take up to eight weeks to complete.

Prior to road work, citizens will be required to remove their cars and will be notified via signs placed on the road at least 12 hours prior to paving. The street will be milled, manholes will be levelled and the road will then be paved.

For a detailed description of this work, see our paving steps brochure

Please keep in mind that every effort is made to adhere to construction schedules, however complications due to weather and equipment can sometimes cause delays.

For information on The City of Calgary’s 2016 paving projects, and to see the new paving map in action, visit Calgary.ca/paving

For information on The City of Calgary’s concrete programs, visit Calgary.ca/concrete

For information on The City of Calgary’s micro surfacing program, visit Calgary.ca/microsurfacing

1 comment: