- You may be overwhelmed with your own Canadian-ness.
Break your toques out and get ready to cheer your friends over pints of maple syrup (ok, maybe don’t get THAT excited, we hear maple syrup doesn’t go down that well as a drink). With events like our Aboriginal Powwow at Prince’s Island Park, cultural performances at Chinatown, and chances to dress up like a Mountie at Fort Calgary, at some point you will find it SO impossible not to gush with pride for our great nation that you’ll be finishing every sentence with “eh”.
- You might fall into a food-truck coma. With delicious treats from food trucks at Fort Calgary and Prince’s Island Park, we can’t guarantee you won’t fall into a delicious and satisfying food-truck coma. Indulge in refreshing gelato, flavour-packed Asian noodles and mind-blowing perogies. Fort Calgary will also be hosting a pancake breakfast and the first 1000 people at Eau Claire Market will get free ice cream.
- Your selfie game will be so strong your friends will unfollow you.
Give a new meaning to #squadgoals by rep’ing Canada’s colours with 1,000 of your closest friends at the Living Flag photo opp. Send the most patriotic snaps you can with our #OCanadaYYC Snapchat filters. And get gym-selfie ready by hitting the free fitness classes at Prince’s Island Park. By the end of the day, your friends will be wondering how they can ever top your real-Canadian selfie game.
- You’ll discover so many great Canadian bands, that your next playlist will be too big for your phone. Experience a true Fallback Friday by checking out 80s & 90s hits from The Grapes of Wrath. Deep-dive into synthy indie-pop tunes from the Zolas. And folk-rock it out to the sweet sounds of Joel Plaskett Emergency. You’ll be so spellbound by the talent at the Riverfront Stage that you’ll be racing home to create a great Canadian playlist. But even if the playlist won’t fit on your phone, you can rest comfortably in knowing you got to experience it all live.
- Our fireworks might – quite literally – take your breath away.
Nestle into your favourite fireworks watching spot, tune into 101.5 Kool FM and Wild 95.3 FM for music synchronized to our fireworks show, and end #OCanadaYYC with a bang. With a backdrop of Calgary’s skyline and the Canada Rockies, it’s likely that you’ll be left breathless, at a loss for words, or even shedding a single tear as you watch fireworks ignite the horizon.
Submitted by Regan Ogilvie, Customer Service & Communications