Some Calgarians remain without power, and ENMAX is working quickly to restore power to affected areas. Debris from broken trees is still present and City crews are working throughout the night to clean up.
If you or someone you know is still experiencing a power outage, please consider some of the following:
- For emergency or life threatening situations - call 911
- For non urgent health advice call Health Link Alberta at 1 866 408 5465.
- Turn off or disconnect any appliances or electronic equipment you were using at the time of the outage.
- Keep one light switched on so you know when the power comes back on.
- Think safety! Do not use any gas or charcoal BBQs or devices as they can cause an increase of Carbon Monoxide gas which can result in serious and life threatening illness.
- The indoor use of candles should be avoided. Battery operated lights provide a better and safer light source.
- Generators should not be used indoors. Converse heat by keeping windows and doors closed, and paying special attention to young children, the elderly, and those with chronic medical conditions.
- With temperatures expected to hover just below 0 degrees Celsius, often wearing a hat or sweater and use of a blanket can provide enough warmth to keep you comfortable.
- Use of a battery-powered or hand-crank radio can keep you informed of important updates.
- Keep your freezer and refrigerator doors closed to keep food cold for many hours. Most food will keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Dairy products should be discarded after six hours. Items in the freezer will last 12 to 48 hours, depending on how full the freezer is and what kinds of food are stored inside.
Updates on ENMAX outages can be found at www.enmax.com/outages. City service updates can be accessed through www.calgary.ca.