Last year we said farewell to our Calgary Stampede street sweeping Critters. For 13 years Dixie, Samson, Rocky and Alfalfa kept the Calgary Stampede parade route clean on parade day.
Since the Critters’ retirement last year, The City has worked to design and build four new Critters, including a horse, a cow, a bull and a buffalo, to replace the old crew.
|click to enlarge photo|
“The Critters have been a Stampede tradition for nearly 15 years,” said Roads Director, Troy McLeod. “We received feedback from Calgarians who were disappointed when we retired the Critters last year so we wanted to continue the tradition for visitors and Calgarians enjoyment for many years to come.”
The Critters aren’t just a part of the annual parade. They are also taken to the Alberta’s Children’s Hospital for the kids to enjoy during Stampede.
“We are also glad to be able to bring some joy to the youth unable to travel to the Stampede parade and our operators say it is the most rewarding event of the year to support.” said McLeod.
Before the new Critters make their debut at this year’s Calgary Stampede Parade on July 3, they need names! So we’re hosting a naming contest on The City’s social media channels.
Stampede Critters Naming Contest
This is your chance to name a Stampede Critter and be in the Calgary Stampede Parade!
Here’s how it will work:
- Starting today, Friday, June 12, we’re encouraging Calgarians to post your name suggestions on The City’s social media channels. There’s several different ways you can do it:
- Leave a comment at the bottom of this blog post with a name suggestion
- Respond to either @cityofcalgary or @yyctransport on twitter using #stampedecritters
- Comment on The City of Calgary’s Facebook page
- Comment on The City of Calgary’s Instragram pictures
- The contest will be open for two weeks, ending on Friday, June 26.
- Once submissions have been collected, City staff will vote on your suggestions to name the Critters.
- Participants who suggested winning names will be put in a draw to win a ride-along in a Stampede sweeper during the parade. Four winners will be selected and the names will be announced before the Stampede parade.