Construction activities for the Airport Trail Tunnel began in mid-July and excavation is ongoing.
As the excavation progresses, the project team expects that crews will start work on the deep utilities and concrete footings for the tunnel structure by mid-October.
Please visit Calgary.ca/airporttunnel and fill out a quick online feedback form (open until Monday October 17).
The Airport Trail Tunnel is a 620 metre tunnel that will run under the new Calgary International Airport runway and will extend Airport Trail from Barlow Trail to 36 Street N.E. The estimated cost for the construction of this tunnel is $294.8 million, which was approved by Council in February, 2011. This project is expected to be completed in May 2014.
- City, Airport Authority finalize agreement
- Calgary City News Blog: Airport Trail Underpass project - UPDATE
- Calgary City News Blog: Details on the Airport Trail Underpass
- Mayor Nenshi discusses the Airport Trail Underpass
- Closure of Barlow Trail NE - Airport Access after April 2