Since opening the 7 Street S.W. cycle track in July 2013, The City has been monitoring people travelling through the area, whether on foot, bike or car. Results are in:
- The number of cycling trips per day on 7 Street S.W. is more than double than what was originally forecasted (500 trips). With more than 1,000 trips counted in 24 hour periods on weekdays, in July and August, the 7 Street S.W. cycle track is already the busiest on-street bikeway in Calgary.
- People of all cycling skills are using the cycle track, including youth, adults, and seniors.
|City staff distributing the How-to guide on 7 Street|
- Better traffic flow for people travelling in the area
- More education and enforcement through regular visits to 7 Street S.W. from City staff and Calgary Police Service. Check out the How-to guide.
- Getting ready for winter by testing appropriate snow removal equipment
The City will continue to monitor and adjust traffic operations on 7 Street S.W. as required through fall 2013. In November, The City will continue engaging Calgarians on the Centre City cycle track network, of which 7 Street S.W. cycle track is a part. Your feedback in late fall on these items will help provide transportation choices and improve mobility in Calgary’s downtown.