Every day, 23 fifth and sixth graders, roll up their sleeves and collect food waste, paper towels, napkins, and paper plates from the lunchroom, foods lab, staff room and snack shack and put it into compostable bags.
This organic waste material is then shoved into green tote bins and taken to an industrial site near Okotoks where the organic material is biologically processed into fertilizer.
The student volunteers have also been educating other students at the school on the benefit of composting through video presentations and interactive learning activities.
They teach their peers that one benefit of the program is reducing the amount of organic waste that goes to the landfill. A second is that it also reduces the amount of harmful methane gas that is produced when organic waste is buried and cannot decompose properly.
Samual W. Shaw was a 2011 Showcase School for Calgary’s Mayor’s Environment Expo – and The City of Calgary is inviting teachers to showcase their school at the 2012 Mayor’s Environment Expo in June.
The 2012 Mayor’s Environment Expo takes place June 5-7 at the Municipal Building.
All Showcase Schools qualify for a $250 grant from Encana to help with their projects. Free transportation to and from the Expo is provided by Calgary Transit.
Register your school today and celebrate environmental stewardship! Go to calgary.ca/mee
Related Calgary City News blog posts
- Showcase Your School at The Mayor's Environment Expo
- The 2011 Mayor’s Environment Expo
- Water is Life: How one seven-year-old made a difference
- Mayor’s Environment Expo High School Photography Contest winners announced
- Upcoming environmental events inspired by former Mayor Jack Leslie
- State of the Environment Report: Calgary making progress on sustainability
- Upgrades at Southland Leisure Help Efficiency and Environment
- Waste & Recycling Services update on waste diversion
- Winners of the Mayor’s Environment Expo High School Photography Contest Announced
- 2010 Mayor's Environment Expo
- Students engage in Mayor's Environment Expo
- Photo slideshow of Mayors Environment Expo
- Beverly Pepper's Sentinels at Ralph Klein Park
- City celebrates BirthPlace Forest program's legacy
- Celebrating Earth Day with hope for the future
- Calgary’s Water Centre receives Gold LEED designation
- Winners announced for 2009 Calgary Awards
- Municipal Building Community Food Garden Volunteers Present the “Veggies” of Their Labour
- Calgary Ranked World’s No. 1 Eco-City